Sybase/SQL Server DBA (closed)
Galen Technology Solutions is seeking a Sybase/SQL Server DBA for our direct client, an international investment bank. This is a contract opportunity in Jersey City, NJ.
The principle objective of this assignment is to provideSYBASE & MSSQLDatabase Administration in fast-paced financial environment.
All candidates must work on a W-2 basis.
- Provide 24/7/365 primary support of all Sybase ASE, Replication Server and IQ systems.
- Provide 24/7/365 primary DBA support of all Microsoft SQL Server clustered and non clustered databases.
- Provide 24/7/365 primary application DBA support of specific global database applications, performing application releases, app/data patching.
- Participate in database development, tuning and optimization expertise to application development and support teams on an ah-hoc or continual basis.
- Proactively monitor all database systems utilizing vendor supplied and standard tools.
- Maintain complete inventory, config and documentation of deployed systems.
- Engineer high availability Database Systems based on Sybase and SQL Server.
- Remediate database security baselines, policies, standard procedures and best practices.
- Work within the project management framework
Cross train members of the Database team in all responsibilities and maintain a daily and weekly rotation schedule for these.
- Liaise with application and business clients to gather requirements, design and deploy standard systems which clearly differentiate between production, development, UAT, and DR.
- Identify operational and infrastructure risks within the environment and work with the application development team and CM business to make corrections and mitigate risks.
- Ensure that all systems are backed up and monitored according to the business requirements and notify the data owners when there are failures.
- Ensure optimal resilience of deployed systems and meet all disaster recovery and compliance requirements dictated by the business.
- Liaise with system Engineers in troubleshooting issues.
- Maintain top-notch technical skills and financial business knowledge through proactive self-learning in addition to any formal instructor-led training.
- Interface with external vendors in troubleshooting complex, cross-platform issues.
- Expert knowledge of Sybase OR SQL Server database concepts, development and administration with Five years+ as Sybase or Sql DBA in a production environment. Must have some relevant experience in the secondary database
- Sybase, Sql Development and/or Application DBA experience, strong Sql, T-Sql, RDMS knowledge. Well rounded system DBA and application DBA skills a must.
- Expertise in Sybase ASE, Replication, IQ, SQL/SSIA/SSAS, mirroring administration and troubleshooting
- Must have extensive and proven troubleshooting, recovery, db and app optimization & administration experience in large and mission critical enterprise environments (50+ managed servers).
- Strong Unix, Windows experience (sysadmin/power-user level reqd.), Programming & Shell scripting skills, Perl.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or related area preferred
- Seven years+ Sybase or SQL Server experience a must
- Five years+ in the secondary database experience a plus
- Financial Industry experience a must
- Ability to interface with users at all levels of the organization and good end-user support skills.
- Must be well-organized, responsible, work effectively as a technical lead in a project management framework, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and able to multitask in a dynamic trading environment.
- Ability to perform 7 x 24 hour support on a rotation basis and wear a pager and/or blackberry device.